Thursday, January 2, 2014

No Partridge in this Pear Pie -- Just Pears

 

My Grandmother Lottie Epperson Griffith was famous in several counties for her piemaking abilities.  She was perhaps best-known for her pecan pies, but she made many different kinds and I've never been afraid to experiment with pie.

My Mom and my Dad were also great in the kitchen.  My Mom, Betty Jo Boyd Griffith, could create anything and make it beautiful.  My Dad, Bob Griffith, wasn't afraid to experiment and combine unlikely ingredients.

We had some gorgeous Riviera Pears from Harry and David that were ripening too quickly for us to enjoy so I decided to make a Pear Pie.

A few weeks ago my sister gave me a 58-year old Dormeyer mixer that had belonged to my mother who passed away last year.  It seemed only logical to use that mixer-- and it still worked!
Ingredients include

Pastry to make 9-inch pie crust
2 pears sliced (I don't peel -- peel adds interest and texture)
1 cup white sugar plus 1 tablespoon of sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
Slice and arrange pears -- slightly-layered like cards -- in bottom of pie plate.
Sprinkle pears with tablespoon of sugar and set aside while you make filling.
Mix butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs. Add vanilla and flour and beat until mixed.
Pour mixture over arranged pears.
Bake at 350-degrees for 1 hour.
Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Serve with a slice or perhaps just a shaving of extra sharp cheddar cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment