Sunday, December 27, 2009

March in New York -- and the Shubert Theater

One of my best memories of the year came on March 4 when I saw the Broadway revival of Noel Coward's "Blithe Spirit," with Angela Lansbury, Rupert Everett and Jayne Atkinson.

I was in New York on business for nearly a week in late February and early March and on my last night decided to visit the half-price tickets place at Times Square to see what was available. The play was actually still in "previews," but playing to a full house every night. I was very grateful to get a good seat.

I met some friends for drinks, then set out by myself for the Shubert on West 44th Street. The streets were still banked with snow from a snowstorm from two days earlier (that had closed New York public schools for the first time in 14 years.)

I arrived in plenty of time to give myself a quick tour of the amazing and historic theater with its romantic Venetian Renaissance facade and its quaint, blunted entrance, sitting catty-cornered to Shubert Alley. Once inside, I was delighted to spend some quality time in the antiquated and overheated little foyer. Abundant, gas-fueled warmth flowed through a half-dozen ancient floor grates. A plaque on the foyer wall designates the Shubert's longest tenant as "A Chorus Line," which ran for 6,137 performances from 1975 to 1990. Yet, this room is frozen in the 1940s, not the 1970s.

While standing there, I overheard some theatre regulars remarking that playwright Horton Foote--whom Texans are proud to claim--had died just a few hours earlier.

The person sharing this information was a well-known organizer of theater "tours" -- a former actor whom I recognized from his television work. But, this wasn't the only famous person I would spot on this interesting evening -- not on the stage but in the audience and in the bar area during intermission.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment